All those people who are trying to lose weight try many ways to get the best results. One of the most efficient ways to lose weight is dieting and the Keto diet nowadays has become very popular. This diet has various health benefits and many dieticians recommend it. Hence, if you are the one who wants to know about the Ketogenic diet then this post is for you. In this article, we are giving you all the essential details regarding the Keto diet.
What is a Ketogenic diet?
The ketogenic diet is also known as the keto diet and the LCHP diet (Low carb and High Protein). This is high-fat and low-carb diet offers many health benefits and very much effective when it comes to losing weight. The Keto diet includes extremely reducing carbohydrate consumption and switching it to fat. So, the decrease in carbs puts the human body into ketosis which is a metabolic state. When ketosis happens, then the body burns fat for energy very effectively. In the liver, it turns fat into ketones which supply energy to the brain. Hence, entering ketosis results in rapid weight loss and has other benefits as well such as improved cognition, awareness, and reduction in blood sugar.
What is meant by ketosis?
As mentioned above, ketosis is a metabolic process in which a body uses fat for fuel as a substitute for carbs. It happens when you reduce eating carbohydrates and limit the supply of sugar. For entering ketosis you must follow a ketogenic diet that mainly involves limiting the consumption of carbs to approximately 20-50 gms per day and filling up on fats like eggs, fish, healthy oils, and meat. Additionally, the intake of protein should also be moderate because if you take it in high amounts then it may be converted into glucose and delay the transition into ketosis.
Various types of Keto Diets
- Standard ketogenic diet, SKD: It includes fat- 70%, protein- 20%, and carbs- 10%
- Targeted ketogenic diet, TKD: In this diet, carbs are added around workouts.
- Cyclical ketogenic diet, CKD: It involves five ketogenic days that are followed by two high carb days.
- High protein ketogenic diet: It includes fat- 60%, protein- 35% and carbs- 5%.
List of food items to eat and avoid in the Ketodiet
Many people think about what to eat and avoid in the Keto diet. Usually, the keto diet is strict but is very much effective. Hence, foods to eat and avoid in this diet are given below in the list.
Foods to eat
- Fatty fish
- Almonds, walnuts, chia seeds
- Low-carb veggies such as peppers, onions, tomatoes
- Unprocessed cheese like cheddar and mozzarella
- Oils like avocado oil and extra virgin olive oil
Foods to Avoid
- Sugar like ice cream, cake, and others
- Unhealthy fats
- Rice and wheat-based products
- Kidney beans, chickpeas, and lentils
- Potatoes and sweet potatoes
- Sugar-free diet foods
- Fruits except for strawberries
- Baked goods and bread
On a ketogenic diet, you can eat nutritious meals, healthy snacks, as well as vegetables as these are an essential part of the diet. Also, you should make an advance plan regarding your meal as it will help you in saving extra time all through the week. On the other hand, for most healthy people keto diet is safe but many times there are some early side effects that one can see. Hence, you should contact an experienced dietician if you have some health problems before choosing the keto diet for weight reduction.